NTA stands for National Testing Agency and established by The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD). It has been established as a premier, specialist, autonomous and self-sustained testing organization to conduct entrance examinations for admission/fellowship in higher educational institutions. To assess competence of candidates for admissions and recruitment has always been a challenge in terms of matching with research based international standards, efficiency, transparency and error free delivery. The National Testing Agency is entrusted to address all such issues using best in every field, from test preparation, to test delivery and to test marking. It may improve the equity and quality in education by administering research based valid, reliable, efficient, transparent, fair and international level assessments. The best subject matter experts, psychometricians and IT delivery and security professionals will ensure that the current gaps in existing assessment systems are properly identified and bridged. NTA will create a system which will promote teaching (by teachers), learning (by students) and assessment (by parents and institutions). NTA strongly believes in quality, efficiency, effectiveness, equity and security of assessments. To practice these values, NTA will constantly engage with its stakeholders, viz. students, parents, teachers, experts and partner institutions.
NTA has specified its objectives as follows,
- To conduct efficient, transparent and international standard tests in order to assess the competency of candidates for admission, and recruitment purposes.
- To undertake research on educational, professional and testing systems to identify gaps in the knowledge systems and take steps for bridging them.
- To identify experts and institutions in setting examination questions.
- To produce and disseminate information and research on education and professional development standards.
- To identify partner institutions with adequate infrastructure from the existing schools and higher education institutions which would facilitate conduct of online examinations without adversely impacting their academic routine.
- To create a question bank for all subjects using the modern techniques to avoid the malpractice.
- To establish a strong R&D culture as well as a pool of experts in different aspects of testing.
- To help individual colleges and universities in the field of testing and to provide training and advisory services to the institutions in India. To provide quality testing services to the academic institutions in India.
- To develop a state of the art culture of testing in India by using domestic and international expertise. To collaborate with international organizations like ETS etc to achieve the same.
- To undertake any other examination that is entrusted to it by the Ministries/Departments of Government of India/State Governments.
- To undertake the reforms and training of school boards as well as other bodies where the testing standards should be comparable with the entrance examinations.
Entrance Examinations Conducting by NTA
- JEE (Main)-Joint Entrance Examination
- NEET – UG- The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test
- CMAT- Common Management Admission Test
- GPAT-Graduate pharmacy Aptitude Test
NTA may responsible for UGC-NET examinations.
In future, NTA may also planning to undertake other tests to measure specific population’s content, knowledge and skills.
Why & What is the Need of NTA
We know what importance of entrance exams is and how these exams playing a key role in admission(s) criteria of various bodies. Previously, all national entrance exams were conducted by different boards with different members. Sometimes, we are facing the problem with question paper leakage etc and it is the biggest problem when conducting the national entrance exams. If we have one body which organizes all the entrance exams, then it is easy to find out the malpractice candidates when question papers leaked out etc.
NTA will organize the all entrance exams in online mode which may avoid the question paper leakage and maintains the confidentiality of the question papers. We hope that this NTA may avoid the existing problems and will implement the greater standards in India.
NTA is also planning to collaborate with the international agencies such as ETS (Educational Testing Service), College Board, ATP etc. Officially it announced that NTA will Gradually develop the domain expertise of testing which will be recognized not only at the national level but also at the international level and. The field of psychometry is a very important part of testing.
Good Luck NTA Team!
If you have any queries, feel free to contact us.